September 24, 2009

Zakopane: Part 2

This wrap-up of Zakopane is now a couple weeks old, so it is gonna be mostly pictures and a little text.Melea AmazedWe last left the story at the peak. Tired, but whole, we rested and ate lunch on Giewont's peak. After everyone arrived, the first group was eager to leave, but Melea and I waited to go down with Audrey, Alan and Erica. There were more chains, followed by a different, (less steep but longer) path down. The above picture shows Melea marvelling at the height we had achieved.

cloud and mountainAnother mountaintop, becoming enveloped in clouds.

The clouds came in quickly, and it started to spit, then to outright rain.

Misty Mountain FreedomAnother nearby peak

Lichen: Macro Shot!Lichen growing on rocks

Lichen-ed hillAn expanse of lichen and rocks


CowIt really started to pour eventually, with thunder and lightening. We were glad to be off the mountain's peak. I put on my thin plastic poncho and we continued the path downwards. We passed a field with cows in it. I took this picture from under my poncho - hence the poor quality. The cows all wore bells.

Melea and I ended up ahead of Audrey and the rest, and ended up in an odd area of town with no idea where to go. We asked a lady nearby, and showed her the map on the back of the hotel's card, but she didn't know either. Luckily, she was waiting to get a ride from a friend, and he dropped us off at a park near our hotel. The journey was over, and a lovely hot shower was had.


Market SquareThe market at Zakopane

Sewing BoxesYou can buy lots of different "traditional" things. Here are walking sticks with axe heads, sewing baskets, and woollen goods.


BuyingDifferent purchases: Nesting dolls, wooden jewelry, a teeny mug, a wooden spoon, and a kilo worth of yarn (for me of course!)


Yarn ScaleHere is my yarn next to a roll of toilet paper for scale. It is huge!



I also bought some cheese in Zakopane. The cheese is made from goat or sheep's milk and is smoked locally. I got a barrel shaped bit. The whole market smelled like the cheese. I liked the taste (very salty and smoky) but not everyone did.
ValerieAs a last shot - my roommate Valerie. She looks fabulous, doesn't she?

3 comments:

  1. Is the Cheese Man yawning or yelling at someone..? I can't tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is yelling into a cell phone. I love that the cheese looks like beer kegs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the gauge (wpi) on that yarn. I love this new pattern from Twist and that of you. Maire Riding Jacket
    http://twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/75-fall-2009-patterns/411-maire-riding-jacket-by-margaret-mills

    ReplyDelete