September 04, 2009

Now broadcasting from Poland

So I arrived yesterday (around 1pm here) and didn't feel jetlagged at all (despite being awake for almost 24 hours at the time).

The flight was good, though cramped. Here is a picture from my Munich-Krakow connection
You can see some German farmland and such.

We (being Melea, Audrey, Lisa and I) took a van-taxi when we got to the airport. It cost 69 zloty (the l is supposed to have a slash through it and the word is actually pronounced zwotay), but we rounded up to 80 for a (generous) tip and to make it easy to split. A zwoty is about $0.44CAN, and the cab ride was about 20min, so we each paid about $9. Cheap.

Cheap basically describes shopping in Poland.
This is a picture of the pizzeria we (Audrey, Melea and I) ate at for dinner last night. We ordered a Hawaiian pizza (which came with peaches on it), and with the student discount and a tip it came to 15zl for all of us (or $2 each).

We continued on our walk downtown, to the Old Town.
This is a picture of Melea and Audrey in the main square. Wawel Castle is behind them. We walked around a bit, hunting for a 110V hair straightener for Melea, but had no luck.
After returning to the residence (called Piast) we went grocery shopping. I bought this box of innocent looking juice, and arrived home to find out it was GREEN. I thought the fruits on the front were cranberries, apples, and limes, but it turns out that the cranberries are cactus pears (or cactus figs according to google translate). It is really tasty though, very sweet and tangy.
This morning we went to IKEA and there was a giant table and chairs outside. Of course we climbed on them. I'm the one in the chair closest to the camera. Kathleen, our semester advisor, is the one standing up in the back. We ate lunch at IKEA. I didn't eat it, but you could get a hotdog for 1zl!

And just in case you'd be safe from my knitting.... a sock picture. This is the Kaylee pattern (yes, from Firefly), and they are looking pretty good. I'm knitting two at a time with afterthought heels. I'm using Fleece Artist sock yarn, and one end of the ball is pastel and the other is bright. The socks are definitely fraternal sisters, not identical.

I'm going out to a club downtown tonight with the group and it should be fun. I'm wishing I had appropriate shoes, but oh well.

2 comments:

  1. and how much of you skirt did you get knitted.
    Looks like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Europe! We are friends of Teresa over in Frankfurt where they put kiwis on Hawaiian pizza.

    ReplyDelete