September 06, 2009

Polish Klubs

A quick note about my first Polish bar experience.

We all (sans a couple jet-lagged folks) went to a club of Kathleen's suggestion called Carpe Diem. While we were under the impression that the drinking age was low (maybe 16?), it is actually 18. After most of the 15 of us had already gone downstairs (the bar is in a basement, as are many bars in Krakow), the bouncer suddenly woke up and asked the last four of us for ID. I was the only one without an ID, and was left outside. One of the other ID-ed people told me they would get Kathleen, and I waited.

After a couple minutes the bouncer asked me (in English) "How old are you?" I told him "twenty" and he let me in with no issues.

In the bar I had only one shot (having pre-drank with Polish gin and tonic water). The shot is apparently very Polish, and the translation may have been either mad dog or rabid dog. It was a layered shot with vodka, raspberry syrup and Tabasco sauce. It was actually very good. The syrup covered the taste of the vodka, and the Tabasco left your throat with a warm burn. Also it only cost 5zl (approx. $2).

The dancing was good, though the songs were old (and almost all in English). A sample of the song list:
  1. Eye of the Tiger
  2. Dancing Queen
  3. Living on a Prayer
  4. Poker Face by Lady Gaga (the most recent song played)
  5. YMCA
  6. Brown-Eyed Girl (the Poles all sung along to this one)
  7. another ABBA song (can't remember which one)
  8. Please Don't Stop the Music (Rhianna)
Basically my history of listening to classic rock radio and going to Canadian weddings paid off.

Also the stage was a rectangle with one of the back corners cut out. I was unaware of this fact and stepped backwards off the stage at one point. I caught myself safely and wasn't hurt, but it was a little jarring.

The walk home was long, but I was in my bed by 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment