July 18, 2009

Inspired by this article at the Polandian, I decided to find out my Polish name day. I figure this is as good a method as any to claim another day as a personal holiday. It turns out that the Polish spell Sarah with no h, so I’m forced to use “Sara”. My name day is January 19. I expect congratulations and free drinks on this day, as well as on the day of my birth.

If you are insanely jealous (as you should be) you can find out your own name day! It is easy! I’ll demonstrate how I found out my sister Emily’s name day.

1. Make sure your parents named you something classic and European. This is a Euro tradition. If you don’t have a European first name, I guess you can choose one that you think sounds Bad-Assed. Or sounds like your name.... whatever.

Emily... check!

2. Think of all the variations on your name that you know. Translate into other languages, use the Internet. Make a good list, as this improves your chances of having a good name day
Emily: Emilie, Amelia, Amelie.

3. Go to this website, and search your possible names with the dropdown set to “Name Days”.

4. Choose your favourite name day country.

Emily has a choice between an Estonian, French, Czech (as Emilie), Swedish (as Amelie), or Polish (as Amelia) name day.

5. Choose the name day that comes first after your birthday.

Estonian: May 19
French: September 19
Czech: November 24
Swedish: April 20
Polish: March 30

6. On the week before your name day, remind others that it is coming up, and that it is very important and close to your heart. The Polandian article has some methods to convince people believe you.

7. Collect your congratulations and free stuff!

Comment on this post with your name day, and if you follow the steps, I will congratulate you on your name day! What a wonderful prize!

Actually I have a better prize – comment here with your name day and email me your fall mailing address, and I’ll send you a postcard from Poland (or other European country) celebrating your naming! Unless you are going to Poland with me – then I’ll buy you a drink on your name day if it occurs while we are overseas!

3 comments:

  1. Teresa doesn't have many variations according to the site. Usage: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Finnish, Polish, German, Scandinavian, English

    So I checked my name day and it is October 3. Do I get something special for it following your other sister's birthday. :)

    I'll email you our addy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used your Emily example, and my name day is March 30. You owe me a drink.

    Also, busy lady forgets to call me before her trip! Its ok, I know you must have been busy. but your flight better have been good, and I will talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha you did it for me.. nov. 24.
    27 Louth Street, St. Catharines ON
    Canada
    L2S 2T5
    :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete